Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Books & Reading Songs and Fingerplays

Story Hour
(make action indicated by rhyme)

When the sun lights up the sky
I sit right up and rub my eyes
I dress myself with greatest care
I brush my teeth and comb my hair
Then off to story hour I go,
To hear the stories that I love so.

Here is My Book

Here is my book,
  (hold hands together as if a book, then open)
I open it wide,
To see all the pictures,
that are inside.

I Like Books

I like books
I really do --
Books with stories
And pictures too.
Books of birds
And things that grow
Books of people
We should know.
Books of animals
And places, too,
I like books, yes I do.

Story Time

Let's sit for a story
For a story, for a story
Let's sit for a story
Please come and sit with me
  (Children start to arrive and we sing*)
(Name) is at story time, at story time, at story time
(Name) is at story time; he/she came to sit with me

Keep singing until everyone has sat down their name has been sung.

Storytime at the Library
(tune: Wheels on the Bus)

We go to storytime at the library,
At the library, at the library.
We go to storytime at the library
Every week!
We listen to stories at the library*
We sing songs at the library*
We do crafts at the library*
We have fun at the library*

Here Is My Book

Here is my book
  (Hold hands as if holding closed book)
I open it wide
  (Pretend to open book)
To see the pictures that are inside.

Five Little Books

Five little books, sitting on a shelf.
Look inside, and see a little elf.
Four little books, all in a row.
Look inside, see it start to snow.
Three little books, sitting on the shelf.
Can you take one and read it for yourself?
Two little books left on the pile.
Fine one now and read it with a smile!
One little book, all that is there.
Found itself a reader who was happy to share!


Whenever I Go To the Library
Whenever I go to the library,
Books and books are what I see,
I love to take them home with me,
Blank books are what I see.


Books to the Ceiling, by Arnold Lobel

Books to the ceiling, books to the sky,
My piles of books are ten miles high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them.


Picture People

I like to peek inside a book
Where all the picture people look.
I like to peek at them and see
If they are peeking back at me.

Let's Go to the Library
(tune:  This is the Way We Wash Our Clothes)

Let's all go to the library
The library, the library
Let's all go to the library,
And see what we can do.

Look at books at the library,
the library, the library,
Look at books at the library.
That's what we do.

Repeat and add different things you can do at the library - 
Play with puppets
Check out books
Use the computer

Read a Book
(tune: Row, Row, Row Your Boat)

Read, read, read a book, travel anywhere
World-wide, you decide: a book will take you there.

We've Got the World at the Library
(tune: "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands")

We've got the whole world at the library,
We've got the whole wide world at the library,
We've got the whole world at the library,
We've got the world at the library.

We've got books about dogs at the library,
We've got books about mice at the library,
We've got books about cats at the library,
We've got the world at the library.

Reading Song

The more we read together, together,
The more we read together, the happier we'll be.
For these books are good books and
we all enjoy books,
The more we read together, the happier we'll be!

(tune: "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star")
The library is the place for me.
It has lots of books, you see.
I check them out, one by one,
and return them when I'm done.
The library is the place for me.
It has lots of books, you see.

(tune:  "BINGO")
I have a friend, the very best,
And we read books together.
You are my good friends (point to children)
You are my good friends (again, pointing)
You are my good friends (pointing)
And we read books together!

Where's the Book?
(tune: Frere Jacques)

Where is ______________'s book? (point to child)
Where is ______________'s book (let child tell you where it is)
Under the bed, under the bed (insert wherever they tell you)
Look high, look low.
Where did ______________'s book go?
Here it is -- under the bed!

Five Little Books
Five little books
Sitting on a shelf,
Look inside,
and see a little elf.

Four little books,
All in a row
Look inside,
See it start to snow.

Three little books,
Still on the shelf.
Can you take one,
And read it for yourself?

Two little books
Left on the pile
Find one now,
And read it with a smile.

One little book,
All that is there,
Found itself a reader,
Who was happy to share.

Over the Street and Through the Town
(tune: Over the River and Through the Woods)

Over the street and through the town
To the library we go,
Dad knows the way
To travel each day
Because we love to go-oh!

Over the street and through the town
To the library we go;
There are so many books
That I'm going to look,
and so much I will know.

Here is My Book
Here is my book (holding hands as if holding a closed book)
I open it wide (pretend to open)
To see the pictures
That are inside.

Books
Big books, little books.
  (hold hands out wide, bring together)
Short books, tall
  (hold I hand above other, spread apart)
Thin books, fat books,
  (hold  thumb and pointer close together, spread apart)
I love them all.
  (place hand over heart)

The More We Read Together
(tune: The More We Get Together)

The more we read together
Together, together
The more we read together
The happier we'll be.

For your books are my books
And my books are your books.
The more we read together
The happier we'll be.

Friends
I say "Hello," to friends at storytime (nod head, point to audience)
I'm happy as can be. (Hug self)
They are my special storytime friends. (point to audience)
I like them all, you see.  (Hug self)

I Am a Librarian
I am a librarian (point to self)
I check out all the books (pretend to stamp books)
Come and visit me real soon (beckon with hand)
And give my books a look. (palms together, then open)
All the boys & girls can come (point to audience)
And check out books for free (Hold out hands like open book)
I help them find the books they want (shade eyes, look around)
At the library (sweeping motions with arms).

My Book
This is my book, it will open wide (palms together, open outwards)
To show the pictures that are inside. (point to one palm)
I read about a ball, so big & round (make ball shape with hands)
That is tossed in the air & rolled on the ground. (Make these motions)
I read about an umbrella to keep me dry, (put hands together above head)
When the raindrops fall from the cloudy sky. (flutter fingers downward)
I read about a kitty with a loud loud purr (say "meow")
I'd love to stroke her soft, warm fur. (make stroking motions)

My Eyes Can See
My eyes can see. My mouth can talk (point to each body part)
My ears can hear. My feet can walk.
My nose call smell. My teeth can bite.
My lids can flutter. My hands can write.
But when the clock it's time does show (make a circle with hands, point to wrist)
I'll take some books and away I'll go. (mime holding books and march briskly)

Ready for Storytime
Put your arms up high (stretch & reach up)
Put your arms down low. (reach down & touch the ground)
Wave your arms to and fro. (wave back & forth)
Now put your arms just so. (fold arms, sit down)

Three Good Friends
Three good friends
Reading such good books
The first friend said,
"I'm learning how to cook!"
The second friend said,
"I'm learning about the sun"
The third friend said,
"I'm reading just for fun."
So three good friends
Sat underneath a tree
And read all day
As happy as could be.

A Book May Be
A book may be as tall as a tree
A book may be as wide as the sea
A book may be about dogs that run
A book may be about the number one
A book may have a bouncing kangaroo
But a book will have a good story for you!

Welcome to Story Time
(tune:  Three Blind Mice)

Hello, (child's name), Hello, (child's name)
How are you?  How are you?
We're glad you're here to laugh and play,
We hope you'll have some fun today,
You're welcome, welcome everyday.
To our story time.

Storytime
(tune: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star)

Now our storytime is through I had fun; hope you did too
I was glad to make a friend
Won't you please come back again?
Now our storytime is through
I had fun; hope you did too.

We’ve Got the Whole World at the Library
(tune: He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands)

We’ve got the whole world at the library
We’ve got the whole wide world at the library.
We’ve got the whole world at the library
We’ve got the world at the library.

We’ve got book about dogs at the library
We’ve got books about mice at the library
We’ve got books about cats at the library
We’ve got the world at the library.

We’ve got grown-ups at the library
We’ve got kiddos at the library
We’ve got babies at the library.
We’ve got the world at the library. 

To The Library
(tune: The Wheels on the Bus)

We all go to the library
The library, the library
We all go to the library
For storytime. 

We listen to stories at the library
The library, the library.
We listen to stories at the library
At storytime. 

Repeat with different library activities, such as:
We play with friends at the library.
We sing songs at the library.
We have fun at the library. 

If You’re a Reader and You Know It
(tune: If You’re Happy and You Know It)

If you’re a reader and you know it, clap your hands
If you’re a reader and you know it, clap your hands
If you’re a reader and you know it and you really want to show it
If you’re a reader and you know it, clap your hands. 

If you love books and you know it, shout “hooray!”
If you love books and you know it, shout “hooray!”
If you love books and you know it, and you really want to show it

If you love books and you know it, shout “hooray!”


No comments:

Post a Comment