Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Another of "My Favorite Things"

The second week of "Favorite Things"...this week:  BOOKS & STORIES of course! :)



How to Read a Story by [Messner, Kate]
How to Read a Story, by Kate Messner


Is There a Dog in This Book? by Viviane Schwarz

Instead of a felt board story/rhyme this morning, I did a folder story.  Since we still have ice on the ground with a little bit of snow, and still winter, the folder story wss about a snowman.  See the patterns and rhyme at these links.  I tailored the snowman a little bit.  I will try to get actual photos of the folder included here.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=bmNrbHMub3JnfG5ja2xzLXlvdXRoLXNlcnZpY2VzLXJlc291cmNlc3xneDo0NDZjYzM5ZTFkNTk2ZGI2

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=bmNrbHMub3JnfG5ja2xzLXlvdXRoLXNlcnZpY2VzLXJlc291cmNlc3xneDoxYjIzOThiYTg4YTM5YmM1

If you do not have a set of these differentiated cubes for your storytime usage, and you have about twenty bucks available, I urge you to get a set of them. I've primarily used them for gross motor activities, and there are a TON of ideas and free already done cube sets online.  Today I used them for a "gross motor" and telling/writing stories combo....we used some of the old cube activities I had used at Christmas/winter theme,and then made up a mini-story as we did the gross motor movements to go with whatever we rolled. 
Carson-Dellosa Publishing Differentiated Instruction Cubeshttps://www.amazon.com/Carson-Dellosa-Publishing-Differentiated-Instruction-Cubes/dp/1604189274/ref=sr_1_4?crid=23DJRB77X3CM9&keywords=carson+dellosa+differentiated+instruction+cubes+manipulative&qid=1579640820&sprefix=carson+dellosa+differ%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-4


Our activity was just to "write" out own books.  I just printed off a simple "cover page" and then supplied some white copy paper, crayons, markers, & pencils, and had the kids "write their own books."   With the range of kiddos I have, we had the scribble pages (which is awesome) on up the beginning concepts of starting to draw pictures to go with a story idea.  I encouraged the adults that they can also write down the words that the children tell them that goes with their pictures. 

I've done this before, and I always hope that maybe this will encourage one or two of them to go home and continue "writing"!

No comments:

Post a Comment