Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Week 3 - Humpty Dumpty

We are into our third week of storytimes this fall.  We had an awesome number of kids last week!  Today is a little cooler, and there was some drizzle in the air earlier. I wasn't sure if that would keep families from coming out this morning, but my fears were not necessary.  We again had a really nice group of kiddos and caregivers.

Today's nursery rhyme was Humpty Dumpty.

The first book I read was Humpty Dumpty, by Daniel Kirk



The second book I read was Mouse's First Fall, by Lauren Thompson




I wanted to emphasize that, since yesterday was the first day of fall, that the word "fall" has different meanings.  Humpty Dumpty had a great fall when he fell off of the wall; there is also a season called fall, which is part of summer, fall, winter, and spring, and is when the weather starts to get cooler, the leaves start turning colors, and fall off of the leaves.  I had enough really young kids this morning that I'm not sure they really picked up on this or not.

Our craft this morning was a simple activity to go with Humpty Dumpty.  I like to incorporate skills that kids can practice at storytime that they may or may not do at home.  Scissor skills in a controlled setting such as this is one of them.  I don't really expect all the kids to cut an entire project out, and yes the adults will probably have to help, but it's a good exposure to learning how to hold a scissors, being safe with them, etc.  Even if just a few snips are made, that's okay.



I photocopied the following egg shape -


I drew lines on the egg, and I had two different versions for the kids....this zig zag pattern for the older preschooler, and I drew 2 straight lines across the egg (slanted) for the younger preschooler who may not have as much cutting experience.    The kids then glued the pieces back together on a piece of construction paper and drew a face on it.  They could then put as many band aids as would fit! :)

The Humpty Dumpty poem is printed out below (click link) for you to print off and cut up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1yqm00v-QofUVZyZ2xBWFAwbDA/edit?usp=sharing


Other links for handouts today:

humpty dumpty

and for the Itsy Bitsy Book

Itsy Bitsy Book - Humpty Dumpty






No comments:

Post a Comment